The Direct Marketing Association, reports that email marketing delivers an eye-popping ROI when compared to other media: $57.25 for every dollar spent on it, compared to $7.08 for every dollar spent on print catalogs, and $22.52 for every dollar spent on non-email marketing."
People unfamiliar with email marketing often wonder what all the fuss is about. Didn't spam kill email as a marketing vehicle? And if spam didn't kill it, what about blogs, Twitter and all the other clever ways we can communicate online? Isn't email outmoded?
Those wondering about the benefits of email marketing in today's ever-changing online and marketing environment will find the answers below.
- Cost-effective: email marketing is extremely low-cost compared to other marketing methods. You can reach more customers, more often, at a fraction of the cost of direct mail or print advertising
- Speed to market: an email campaign is effectively 'live' the moment you launch meaning you can be much more tactical and reactive when it comes to running your campaigns at short notice. This is particularly important for product launches, events and special offers or promotions which are time critical and allow you to communicate details the instant you need to.
- Measurable response: unlike many other mediums, email marketing provides comprehensive reports and real time analysis of your campaigns including opens, clicks, bounces and unsubscribes.
- Targeted approach: Not all customers need to be treated the same – email allows you to cross pollinate your communications with different messages according to your database and customer profiling. This allows you to send more relevant and personalised messages to each customer.
- Lead conversion: with email's comprehensive reporting you can monitor your customers behaviour and create campaigns to convert them into sales. If a recipient clicks on a link for more information you can follow this up with more relevant content and offers based on their initial trigger.
- Sharing is easy: email communications have great potential for sharing amongst friends or colleagues. Traditional methods such as forwarding from your inbox are now being enhanced with easy social share interaction between email campaigns, Facebook and Twitter to help your message go viral.
- High penetration rate: 98% of Australian Internet users use email on a regular basis. Email is also one of the few online communication methods that penetrate all demographics including all major age brackets. Overall, it is the most widely used and far reaching audience than any other Internet related channel.
- Direct communication: When a customer opts-in to your email database they give you an opportunity to have a direct line of communication with them. Ask them questions, send them feedback surveys and engage with them on a personal level.
- Versatility: Email has an abundance of uses for your business from generating leads, converting sales opportunities, building awareness, sales promotion and obtaining feedback. Whatever you have to say, email can help you build a stronger relationship with your customers.
- A green alternative: direct mail uses up precious natural resources, inherent transport infrastructure and harsh chemicals during the print and production process. Using email to communicate is a greener option saving paper and reducing your carbon footprint.
Interested? You should be!